In 2017, kitchen remodeling was one of the most popular home projects and it’s a great way to enhance the value of your home. But, you want to make sure that you are setting yourself up for success before ripping out your floors and tearing down your kitchen cabinets. Consider these do’s and don’ts to achieve the dream kitchen you’ve always wanted the smart way:
- Research to make sure you are hiring the right contractor. Browse reviews online, reach out to others for recommendations, and don’t settle just because one contractor is the least expensive.
- Identify your kitchen must-haves—are you hoping to have an energy efficient kitchen? Have a particular finish or countertop material? Do you want to have appliances with the latest technology?
- Evaluate what an ideal floor plan for your kitchen would look like. Keep it functional and efficient with sufficient storage and countertop space that matches your needs and the needs of your home. What do you want to get out of the space? What do you use your kitchen for most? Cooking? Entertaining? Relaxing with your family?
- Keep all your receipts. File all your receipts in a safe place to submit when filing your taxes or to use when you are ready to sell your home in the future.
- Focus only on the aesthetic of your new kitchen—shiny countertops or a perfect color palette aren’t the most vital things about your new kitchen. Ensure the quality of your cabinets, countertops and replacement windows is high to keep your kitchen functioning efficiently for many years.
- Forget to consider the budget! Keep on budget by prioritizing based on your needs and what features are highest on your list. We suggest budgeting at least 10 percent more than what you believe you’ll need so you can cover unexpected costs during the remodeling process.
- Forget to assess the windows! Pella Windows and Doors has a range of excellent kitchen window styles that can bring together an entire kitchen remodel.
One of the most important items of a kitchen remodeling project is the windows—they allow light into your space, set the tone for the room and provide you a gateway to the outdoors, which is especially nice when there’s a cool breeze on a summer day. If you are thinking about replacement windows as a part of your kitchen remodel, give our team at Pella Windows and Doors a call at 516-331-0031, check out our Long Island showroom or schedule an in-home consultation with us online so we can help you select the right replacement windows for your kitchen needs.